In January of 1976, the original Sprague-Smith Studio — built in 1915–1916 and funded by music students of Mrs. Charles Sprague-Smith of the Veltin School — was destroyed by fire. Redesigned by William Gnade, Sr., a Peterborough builder, the fieldstone structure was rebuilt the same year from the foundation up, reusing the original fieldstone. A few years later, Bill Gnade joined the MacDowell staff as maintenance foreman.
Today, Sprague-Smith Studio is lit by pairs of casement windows recessed deeply into the north and south facades with brick windowsills, and by quarter lunettes that flank the stone chimney on the west facade. The brick floor remains from the original studio, while the large fieldstone fireplace at the west end of the room was rebuilt. The bright, open interior is finished with plaster walls and rough-hewn spruce tie-beams.