Putnam Studio

Completed in 1911

The Graphics Studio, converted to its present use in 1972–1974 through a grant from the Putnam Foundation, originally served the Colony as both a power house and pump house. Well water was pumped from a large cistern to Hillcrest, the Foreman’s Cottage, and the lower buildings closer to Union Street. Inside the building, an engine powered a planer, stationary saw, corn shellers, and a grinding wheel.

The east ell, originally an open woodshed distinguished by three wooden arches, was converted in 1974 to a visual artists’ studio and photographers’ darkroom. The studio’s west end houses lithography and intaglio plate printing presses as well as sinks and ventilation for all manner of printing. Funding from David and Rosamond Putnam supported a complete renovation in 1995.