Built in 1912, Pine Studio was renamed MacDowell Studio in 1943 in recognition of support from a group of Edward MacDowell’s music students. It was built as a composers’ studio and the stuccoed walls were intended to be soundproof.
Like many of the Colony’s studios, MacDowell was winterized in the 1950s when the Colony began welcoming artists year-round. A more thorough renovation was undertaken in 1994, stabilizing the foundation and tightening the building envelope to conserve energy.
Though MacDowell Studio’s interior — with its stucco walls, cement floor, and brick fireplace — is characteristically simple, it is notable for its lofty, hipped ceiling, which lends a particularly pleasing quality to the room.