Irving Fine Studio

Completed in 1914

Youngstown Studio was given to the Colony by friends of Miss Myra McKeown in Youngstown, Ohio, where she promoted both art and music. It was renamed Irving Fine Studio in 1972 in honor of Irving Fine, a distinguished composer, conductor, and teacher who was a Colony Fellow during the 1940s and 1950s.

The simple interior of the studio is lit by multi-paned casement windows on all but the south side, where a wide fieldstone fireplace is marked with a stone mantel and overmantel. When the studio was renovated in 2001, indirect lighting was added and the makeshift bathroom was rebuilt on a proper foundation. The building’s sense of solidity and quiet is reinforced by the thick masonry walls and deep windowsills.