Firth Studio

Completed in 1924

Originally a working barn perched atop the namesake hill of Hillcrest Farm, this building was converted to serve the arts in 1956.

A grand set of windows was installed to make the large interior suitable for visual artists, bringing in abundant natural light from the north. The addition of a screened porch and accessible entrance ramp in 1992 further civilized this former hay barn. Renamed that same year in memory of MacDowell board member and benefactor Valli Dreyfus Firth, this studio has provided ideal working conditions for generations of visual artists.