Chapman Studio

Completed in 1918

Chapman Studio was funded by Mrs. Alice Woodrough Chapman in memory of her husband, composer George Alexander Chapman.

Symmetrically massed, the building is stuccoed on the exterior with a natural, unpainted cement. Its unusual half-timbered ornament consists of slender, knotty spruce poles painted a dark green color. A central, peak-roofed entrance porch appears on the north side, with a stuccoed gable end supported on log corner posts. A brick floor and stone steps complete the porch. Lit by a horizontal row of three tiny windows, the bay on the south side is ornamented with the same wood pattern as the porch on the opposite side of the building.

Located at the very end of a gravel lane, Chapman Studio is the furthest studio from Colony Hall. Artists-in-residence using this space begin their days with a 20-minute walk through the woods.