The International Havana Biennial, part of the 2012 National Trip to Cuba.
Photo by Elena Quevedo.
The National Council
The National Council is a group of individuals from across the country who believe in the importance of nurturing artistic creativity and sustaining MacDowell’s mission. Membership is reserved for supporters whose annual donations fulfill the minimum $2,500 commitment. The Council provides core operating support to ensure the excellence of MacDowell’s program and helps build a national awareness of the arts. As a member you will enjoy access to a full calendar of exciting art experiences, meet MacDowell artists, and attend events not available to the public. The year culminates in a National Trip to a major contemporary art destination. You may join us for as many events as you choose at little or no additional cost.
- A welcome reception with Colony Fellows and Executive Director Cheryl A. Young
- Studio visits
- Theatre rehearsals
- Tours of private art collections
- Ticketed events featuring talk-backs with MacDowell Colony Fellows, for which members are responsible only for the cost of a group-discount ticket
- A monthly electronic newsletter from the Executive Director sharing news and developments about MacDowell and its artists
- A dinner with the Board of Directors, at which you will meet Chairman and Pulitzer Prize-winning author Michael Chabon
- A private tour of The MacDowell Colony during one of two trips to New Hampshire that are organized to familiarize members with the organization and the mission they are supporting (please see calendar of events below)
- The Council’s National Trip, an annual excursion offering exclusive access to exciting arts destinations at a low group rate
2012 National Council Calendar of Events
National Council members are invited to participate in MacDowell's annual National Trip, a guided excursion to a major contemporary art destination. Participants meet with local Colony Fellows and arts patrons, enjoy visits to private art collections and sites, and attend special performances and presentations of work by MacDowell artists.
In March 2013, the National Council will explore the development of the Blues as a distinctly American musical form born in the Mississippi Delta, and the rich literary and cultural heritage found in Faulkner country. Guests will begin this cultural journey in Memphis, traveling to the Mississippi Delta and Oxford, where The MacDowell Colony is partnering with Public Radio-syndicated Thacker Mountain Radio for a live transmission of a MacDowell literary evening.
For more information about the upcoming National Trip, please contact Elena Quevedo, Director of Individual Giving and Special Events, at 212-535-9690 or via .
View itineraries from previous trips:
2011: San Francisco, CA
2010: Bershires, MA
2009: Santa Fe, NM
2008: San Francisco, CA